2.27.2006

Push-pull vs Single-ended

Before I used the Mr Liang's KT88 PP amplifier, I was using Musical Fidelity A2 to drive a pair of Dali Royal Menuet. I didn't satfisfy with the bass performance of MF A2. I thought the KT88 PP could give me better bass response but it didn't.

After listened a while, a net-friend motivated me to do some mods. He said the output transformers of my amp were the weakest links. As a newbie, I didn't believe him. And I decided to do my own way. Firstly, I removed the PCB and completely rewired the machine with point-to-point soldering, as I read from the web that point-to-point would make the sound better.



>

>

Secondly, as told by the net-friend that RMG carbon composite resistor was the best choice for tube amplifier, I changed all the resistors to RMG. Thirdly, all the red WIMA coupling capacitors were changed to Vitamin Q. The first phase of mod was basically done.

>

And the sound... not much different. Why?

Then, I suspected the stock Chinese tubes were not up to par. So, bidded some GE 6DJ8s and 6CG7 to replace the Chinese 6N11 and 6N6. The sound "changed". It's a little diffrent, but not necessarily in a good way. Was that because of the push-pull design?

>

In the mean time, I kept reading tube related websites, and started to have fantasy towards single-ended amplifier. And I acquired an ugly small SE Motorola EL84 console amplifier from eBay. Each channel used 1/2 6DJ8 to push an EL84. And the sound was just amazing! The mid and the high were just so seductive that just blowed my KT88 off.

>

From that moment, I was convinced that SE was my cup of tea.

沒有留言: